Tens of thousands of residents in northwest Indiana have been without electricity for over a week following devastating storms. Trees were uprooted and power lines toppled throughout the region. Northern Indiana Public Service Co. is tirelessly working to restore power, but by late afternoon on Wednesday, 75,000 customers were still facing outages in Lake County, near the Illinois border.
Gary is among the hardest-hit cities, with over 20,000 residents affected. Community centers have been providing hot meals and charging stations for phones. Unfortunately, Northern Indiana Public Service Co. (NIPSCO) announced that full power restoration in Gary will not occur until August 25.
Around 300 poles and 44 power transmission towers need to be repaired or replaced due to the storm’s winds reaching up to 99 mph, said Melody Birmingham, an executive at NIPSCO’s parent company. She noted the challenges, including the loss of perishable food and living without air conditioning after the storm that initially affected 300,000 customers.
“These aren’t simple repairs,” Birmingham emphasized at a press briefing. “These are systems that are being rebuilt.”
In Portage, Jeremy Spurrier relies on a generator, which consumes approximately $75 of gas daily. His family uses nonperishable foods and he travels to Illinois for ice to keep his insulin cool. Spurrier highlighted the financial risk, stating, “If I run out of ice, that’s several hundred dollars of insulin just ruined.”
Gary, with a predominantly Black population, is experiencing significant hardships. Some residents feel neglected, though Birmingham refuted claims of racial bias and pointed out that storm damage affected affluent areas too. She dismissed social media accusations of inequity, stating, “This has nothing to do with race or any type of division… It’s really a matter of where the storm hit.”
Gary Mayor Eddie Melton confirmed the community’s exhaustion and frustration but assured that efforts by more than 600 linemen are ongoing to restore power. Melton clarified, “I want to reiterate this is clearly not just a Gary situation. It is a northwest Indiana situation.”
Since August 11, the storms have claimed the lives of seven individuals, according to Liz Woods from the state Department of Homeland Security.
Whiting resident Myra Carden is perplexed by her power outages, despite no storm damage to her home. Carden experienced a blackout for two days last week, and an additional disruption on Tuesday. She continues to struggle with outage notifications and uses a generator sparingly to preserve food stored in a deep freeze.
“More than once I have put in an outage report,” Carden said, expressing her frustration. “All I get back is, ‘You already put in a report.’ Well, what do you want me to do? … This doesn’t make sense. Of course, I’m not a lineman; I’m a paralegal.”
Carden fears losing all the beef and chicken piled in her freezer due to the prolonged power outages.

Tragic Helicopter Crash in Kenya Claims Lives of Five Americans
Helicopter Crash in Kenya Claims Five American Lives
Construction and Controversy Surround New White House Ballroom Project
Maryland Wildlife Officials Seek Beaver After Attack on Young Girl
Florida Primaries: Key Wins and Ongoing Political Developments
Massachusetts Abortion Law Controversy